It’s easy to use Cricut to create a personalized first day of school sign that can be used over and over again!
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
Everyone LOVES first day of school pictures on the front porch…why not include a cute sign that gives some stats on your little one’s interests? This board is great because it is a chalkboard and can be used year after year. I created this sign for a friend’s son and can’t wait to see his first day picture!
To create your own, read on.
You will need:
What to do:
- Create your file in Cricut Design Space. They also have a sample template in Cricut access if you need a starting point. Cricut has great back to school templates, many of which are free – simply search “back to school” in design space. I made my template from scratch and it didn’t take long – look for fonts that are easy to read, and look for an outline banner that has a blank center that the machine will cut out so that you can write in it. I used Babette and Dom Casual. I also used these shapes: pennant, pencil, banner, apple, school and dot border 2.
- Use your Cricut to cut out all of your text and shapes. You will need to do this multiple times if you are trying to layer colors (as I did with the colored pennant border). I duplicated my banner in each color to make things easier, and this way I knew all of the colors would be the same size.
- Use your measuring tape to decide how to best center and place your vinyl pieces. I actually did mine all in one swoop, with a very large piece of transfer tape! But you could easily cut your design into pieces and apply them one at a time. Just be sure to measure your placements so that your text doesn’t end up slanted if you do it this way.
- To make the colored banner, I first applied the white banner, then cut the pieces I needed from the colored banners and applied them by hand to the banner on the board.
- Fill in your chalkboard using chalk markers, and wipe away with a damp cloth when ready to erase. Voila, an easy way to capture September memories each year!
Please leave a comment with photos of your first day of school signs!